Tuesday 22 June 2010

Fully Recovered - The Return Of A King: Recovery Reviewed



Fully recovered, and returned as the king. Who am I talking about? Eminem dropped his highly anticipated album Recovery on June 21st of this year. In my opinion, he has reclaimed his rightful position back on the throne. This outstanding album, describes his struggle, not only with drugs, but also opens the doors, to his personal life. Em shares his feelings over the loss of his long term best friend, and member of D12, Proof, who passed in April of 2006. With ‘Your Never Over,’ Em clearly shows he is still grieving three years later. He raps,

"Homie I know I’m, never gonna be the same with you
I woulda never came in this game, I’m going insane without you
Matter of fact it was just the other night, had another dream about you
You told me to get up, I got up and spread my wings and I flew
You gave me a reason to fight, I was on my way to see you
You told me nah Doodi you’re not layin’ on that table I knew
I was gonna make it, soon as you said think of Hailie, I knew
There wasn’t no way that I was gonna ever leave them babies, and Proof not many are lucky enough to have a guardian angel like you
Lord I’m so thankful, please don’t think I don’t feel grateful, I do
Just grant me the strength that I need, for one more day to get through
So homie this is your song, I dedicate this to you
I love you Doodi"


In an interview with Angela Yee on Shade45, the rapper's official Internet radio station. Em claimed that Recovery is going to be another level, totally different to his 2009 album release ‘Relapse’. Boy is it different, Recovery features a number of unexpected collaborations, from rock/pop chick with an attitude Pink, to R&B singer Rihanna, let’s not forget, Lil Wayne and Kobe too. These collaborations create a whole new vibe, making this album unique in its own right. But wait, there’s more, Em also introduces a selection of producers, from Just Blaze, Boi-1da, DJ Khalil, alongside many others, including Dr Dre and Eminem himself.

On several occasions, the multi-platinum selling rapper takes the time to address his thoughts on his previous albums. Encore, which released in 2004, and Relapse, his 2009 release. In songs ‘Talkin 2 Myself,’ and the new single ‘Not Afraid’, he states that he wasn’t entirely happy with these two projects.

“The last two albums don’t count, Encore I was on drugs and Relapse I was flushing em out, I’ve come to make it up to ya no more f**king around, I’ve got something to prove to fans cuz I feel like I let em down so please accept my apology, I finally feel I’m back to normal, I’m me again.”

Recovery has everything for everyone from sick love songs, to the rebirth of a hip-hop/rap icon. The album is an announcement, to Em’s official return to the game. The sensational rapper we’ve all been waiting for is back. Don’t expect this project to have the funny accents, which many fans found annoying. The accents first appeared in 2004 with Encore, and continued with Relapse in 2009. Well, not anymore, because it no longer exists.

Take a second, to rewind back to 2000, and 2002 when the ‘Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show was released. Put Recovery on playback, and it’ll be like da ja vu. The sick, and twisted persona of Slim Shady, with the struggle of Marshall Mathers, and the sense of humour of Eminem, still exists today. Experience the struggle, with ‘Talkin’ 2 Myself’, ‘Going Through Changes’, ‘25 to Life’, and ‘Not Afraid’. Enjoy the twisted mind of Slim Shady, with ‘Love The Way You Lie, and Space Bound.

Fall to the floor laughing, with Eminem in the company of WTP (White Trash Party), So Bad, and Cold Wind Blows.

The Recovery album packaging is simple, but unique at the same time, fans have the choice to choose between two cover designs. You can have your cake and eat it too. Amazing beats, and outstanding lyrical flow, what more can a fan ask for?

Let's welcome Em back to the game, and add this sensational album to your collection. Buy the album, at a store near you or buy Recovery on iTunes. Get two exclusive bonus tracks with the Deluxe edition, start your Recovery process today.

No comments:

Post a Comment